Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ethical Dilemma

Sometime this month is February Vacation. I had the mother of a friend of my sister's call and ask me if I would like to house sit-to the tune of $50 a day. That's good money for 6-7 days when I'm unemployed.

This household has a number of pets-a few dogs, some kind of reptilian or bird like pet inside. Or maybe a cat. I don't really remember.

They also have chickens. Yes. Chickens as pets. Which is not so odd a commodity-it seems they are growing in popularity. I've even tried to talk my parents into getting chickens.

But I'm vegan. She told me I could have all the eggs those chickens lay that week. I politely responded that I was vegan..

However. I became vegan mostly because of animal rights issues, although health and especially environment play into it. These chickens are not going to be slaughtered just because they've stopped laying eggs as productively. They are living a good life.

...So do I eat the eggs? Or do I not break veganism at all....

2 comments:

  1. Will the eggs go to waste if you don't eat them? You could always collect the eggs and donate them to a food bank, a shelter, or other good cause, thereby doing good while still remaining a vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could send them to me....I LOVE real eggs, they taste way better than the store eggs. :D

    ReplyDelete