Sunday, January 9, 2011

Randomness

I'm still working on that vest. Went to a retreat last weekend and actually got to a pretty sweet place in the vest, which I am very happy with. But it seems to be moving slowly, especially given that I haven't worked on it since.

I made sourdough bread again yesterday. Left the starter out overnight to proof it, made the dough in the morning, let it rise for FOUR hours, punched it down, shaped it into a loaf and shoved it in the warmed oven to rise again for two hours. Finally baked it. Still heavy and dense, but not as bad as my first try (the second has been the best so far). Time needed: ~18 hours.

I'm writing again! After National Novel Writing Month, I burnt myself out for a month-which is not too unusual for me. It happened last year and frankly, I'm not surprised it happened this year. I'm currently only writing Fanfiction (fiction based on already created piece of work...in case you didn't know. Which I'm positive you do. Just covering the bases) out of the Firefly world (a tv show starring Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Summer Glau etc that was cancelled far too early in 2002 by Fox and then made a movie in 2005...again in case you don't know, which I'm sure you do). Hopefully, I'll get around to my nano piece as it's kind of whining at me, wanting me to finish it. Surprisingly, I don't think it's crap. Not in the sense that I think the first nanonovel I wrote was crap. It's something I can work with. Like putty sitting there unformed, but the majority of what it needs is already waiting to be formed into a piece of beauty.

I made vegan chocolate chip cookies. They never browned, which was incredibly disappointing. And then they didn't taste very good. But a funny thing happened. The next day, they tasted better. And the day after that, even better. I think the process of going stale actually made the texture/taste of these things better. Which is completely contradictory to anything I've ever heard...

Being Vegan is kind of awesome. My body feels way better, I'm more alert to the world. Last night, I made a dish from theppk.com called Cashew Vegetable Korma.  I halved the recipe, since I wasn't cooking for 16 people and I still have two yogurt containers full of leftover. But it was delicious and I will probably have it for lunch all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment