Monday, December 6, 2010

Yes, as you can see, I have not posted since October

Despite passing the 50k mark on November 21 (about the same time as last year), I had yet to come back to this blog. I've thought about it! I swear I have.

Anyways. Nanowrimo went quite well. Last year, I went into Nano with a rough outline of plot points I wanted to hit, several characters backgrounds and how I thought it was going to end. I never got to the end, I got about halfway, maybe, when I reached the 50k and decided that was it, I wasn't going any farther.

I also knew as November drew to a close that this 'novel' would be one of the ones you shove in a drawer, as far back as you can and let everything pile on top of it. In other words, I don't want to throw it away, but I NEVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN. Ever. It is just that awful. The timing is awful, the characterization is awful and something about the whole thing is just plain disgusting. But that's ok.

I learned this year, that yes, even though it's Nanowrimo, that the story is going to suck major *insert appropriate cuss words here,* that just having had the experience of attempting to write a novel gives you a better idea of pacing. Gives you a wee bit better idea of characterization and subtlety (even in real life, I am not known for being subtle. I prefer IN YOUR FACE. Much easier and I'm kind of a social-idiot when it comes to the subtle meanings of anything).

What I am trying to say here is, that even though my novel is complete crap, that it needs to be rewritten, repaced and replotted, this one actually has hope of seeing the light of day again. I do not want to stick it in the drawer, let dust and stuff pile up on top of it. No, this one I am going to replot, I am going to re-write and re-pace.

...Just not tonight. I'm scared it's going to eat me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very proud that you hit the 50K mark this year and have a story you want to rework! That makes two of us :D Let me know if you want to talk story pacing and such; it's fun.

    ReplyDelete