Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I feel I should warn you that near the end of my hike, I was converted to being what some affectionately (or not so affectionately) call a 'gear head.' I can get obsessive over backpacking gear.

The last time I checked (Pinkham Notch in NH), my baseweight was standing at 22 pounds. Not bad, but definitely on the heavy side in comparison to other hikers around us.

My 'big four' at the end of my thru-hike were as follows:

Osprey Atmos 65 at 3lbs9oz

REI Halo +25 at 2lbs4oz

Women's ProLite Thermarest, small, 11oz (really can't get much lighter than this..)

Tent fly, stakes (Probably equalling about 2lbs)

I can't do much better than I have with the sleeping pad nor the tent (If I go solo that is-My tarp tent is 23 ounces plus stakes). However, I've been researching new packs and can't decide between two:

The Granite Gear Vapor Ki or the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. The Vapor Ki is purple. Very important in my decision making! I like it! It draws me in... Plus it's just so darn cute. On the other hand, I'd save 11, count 'em 11 ounces if I went with the Mariposa Plus.

As for sleeping bags, I think I want to get the Down Quilt Kit  and make my own quilt! It should come out to weighing just above a pound or so. Maybe as high up as 23-24 oz?

I know I will be carrying fewer clothes and I'll cut out the entertainment until I've gotten the weight of my pack down.

The one other thing I know for certain that I will be doing is making something that Nifus (thru-hiker who passed me) liked to call his 'heinie pot' The heineken keg can pot w/an alcohol stove. Super light! :)

Those are just my thoughts for the time being on how to have a more comfortable, lighter pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment