Monday, October 25, 2010

AT Day 10

I wake up early again-not all of us are heading out, Reverend and Shakes are staying another night-Shakes is slackpacking, so we'll likely see him-but many of us are. We're all ready to go at an early hour of the day, but have to wait for Ron to arrive at the motel. When he does, we all load our packs into the van and take our seats. We go off to the Sapphire inn to pick up some hikers there. Surprise! Count is there as well as another guy who we've not met before. That was exciting.

At the trail head, Ron makes a comment to Bou, Fro & I about admiring us for being female and on the trail. I nod and shrug it off. This won't be the last time I hear something like that and it's just best to keep my mouth shut on these occasions-he gave us a ride and I don't want to seem ungrateful or ruin the service for following hikers.

A majority of the hikers pull ahead quickly. I find it amusing. The day is spent catching up to Silver and dropping back again. Most of the day isn't particularly interesting-there's a lot of snow on the ground, surprsingly. I fall at one point when the snow is packed down and slick. I'm not surprised. We spend fifteen or twenty minutes talking to Shakes and bou & fro catch up to us. A nice morning.

We go on. Silver and I stop at Wayah bald shelter and get water. We eventually figure bou & fro went on to Cold Spring shelter (names are iffy.. I could be wrong). We'll see if we catch them tomorrow-but I'm beat and Silver likes arriving at shelters early. I'm quickly learning why people hate leaving town. Pack is far too heavy.

i try the thai food and am disappointed. will not get that again. There's a brave mouse at this shelter-which is fairly new and my only complaint is the mouse and the huge puddle under the overhang. Not a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment