Wednesday, October 13, 2010

AT Day 2

I wake up just after sunrise, shivering. Not really surprising, as a combination of nerves and cold (It's below freezing) kept seeping into my bag, waking me up. I have a zero degree, but I'm worried, because it doesn't seem to be keeping me warm (This was the only time that happened). I finally manage to convince myself to get up because if I don't, I sure as hell am not going anywhere. And since I only brought so much food, I can't just stay in my sleeping bag all day. (Though I'm sure I could have survived there for a day or two before moving) Also, what the hell would I do, just lying there? I pack as much as I can from my sleeping bag and then keep my down jacket on as I pack the rest. I make the annoying trek down to the water again, standing precariously on slippery rocks over ice cold water and snow-if I fall, I could get hypothermic.

Finally done with that, I slip and slide my way back to the shelter and eat breakfast. I move hurriedly-its still frickin' cold and I'm shivering. The milk from the granola with blueberries is icing over almost as soon as I add the water. It's an interesting experience. I eat as much as I can-my appetite has sallied on over the hill and plonked itself down far from where I can reach it. I'm not eating even CLOSE to what I needed, energy wise.

A few more minutes are spent shivering, packing the rest of the stuff into my backpack, consulting my guidebook one more time (I was quickly learning just how often I would be looking at those pages). Before today, I hadn't decided exactly where I was going to go. i only knew I wanted to be at Neel's Gap on my third day. I confirmed what I'd decided the night before-head for Woody gap and stay at the hiker's hostel. 12 miles-not the longest I'd ever hiked (14.5 in Massachusetts on my section)-but a tad intimidating for my second day out! I got going. A half mile in, I passed two people camped on the rise of a hill/mtn. Didn't know who they were, but thought they had been the two I'd met the day before (they weren't). The hiking was a lot of steep up, steep down. I met a group of (japanese?) day/section hikers (Dayhikers became a term to refer to anyone not long-distance hiking-ie those out for the weekend or a week) on the way down to a stream, nodded my hello and kept on moving. Noted the camping area I'd thought about going for the day before and was glad I hadn't. Took too long to get to. The trail seemed to be doing something i would become quite familiar with-up, out, around and back. picture a snake. Kindof like that. At least, it felt like that!!

After a while, i reached Gooch Gap Shelter. checked my watch. 12:40. Definitely too early to stop. 5 miles to go to Woody Gap. I ate a clif bar and a handful of goldfish and some mint milanos. (As I may have mentioned-thru-hikers don't eat so healthy usually) Packed up again and kept moving. The hiker hostel had a scheduled pick up at 5 pm and i wanted to be there. I moved steadily-the hiking wasn't too difficult, just a bit treacherous here and there with slick patches of old snow.

Didn't meet too many people today. A few were camping at gooch gap and I met a dayhiker close to woody gap with his dog. Didn't drink enough water or eat enough...but that isn't that surprising.

Arrived at Woody gap at 4pm. Didn't realize I could use my cell phone to call for a ride so I sat in the setting sun-constantly moving to stay in the sun as it was just a tad warm to dig and get my down jacket out until 5:10 when Leigh from the Hiker Hostel arrived, recognizing me. I arrived to a hostel that looked FAR different from the one I'd seen before. Before, it had one guest. Now it seemed overflowing. There were people almost everywhere. A bunch of would-be thru-ers like me who I sat with in the living area, stretching my muscles and enjoying the hopeful chatter on their parts. They were all so.. hopeful. Leigh or Josh said they could immediately see (not smell?) the difference between those who had been hiking for a few days and those who hadn't. The difference was barely discernible. Something about how those who had been hiking moved and viewed the trail-something less of idealism but still mixed with the new excitement of a new adventure.

Ate a trail dinner, not wanting to waste money on food when i had some. Found myself questioning why i would buy flavored tortellini. They were ... not good.

Stretched, watched mindless television, debated gear and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment