Tuesday, October 12, 2010

AT Thru-hike Day 1

A dear family friend suggested I write everything I can remember of my thruhike down before I start forgetting details. I'm going to do it on this blog.
I'm shivering, standing in the gravel parking lot as a group of guys looks on. The van peels away, leaving me standing there, looking at my backpack and then frantically searching for.. something. I can't remember what. Probably gloves. I felt FREEZING. Part of it was definitely nerves-I recognized that even at the time. I ran into some.. day hikers? weekend-ers? also heading south, passed them (looking back, i'm shocked. I was shocked then too. I was completely out of shape) and continued on to the top of Springer Mtn.

When I arrived on Springer mtn, I discovered that it was somewhat.. anticlimactic. A wooded summit with only a few views. I could NOT find the register box-I'd read about where it was, but for the life of me, I couldn't find it and i really needed to go to the privy at the shelter. So, I gave up on it and turned north.

After the privy, I easily found my way down to the USFS road again, passing the same guys who had been there before, pausing to greet their dog before continuing on my way.

Sadly, the dog decided that i was its new best friend and followed me. I went back once and told them that-that they should tie the dog up, it was following me. they called it back and it didn't follow me again, at first. A ways later, it suddenly showed up again. I shooed it away, back in the direction of where they were.

I passed the second shelter (approx. 2 miles in) and decided not to visit it. It did not seem particularly interesting to me-I had no need of water.

I experienced a phenomenon this first day that i would often again-Hurry up and get there! (But be bored when you do) I arrived at Hawk Mtn Shelter around 2pm and met two other people who were attempting thru-hikes. They  moved on after a while, intending to get a ride from the hiker's hostel-i decided i didn't want to do that, but didn't feel comfortable w/the amount of time before dark to reach the next campground. So I stayed put. i was terrified i'd spend the night alone, but it turns out i didn't have to. Around 5, people started showing up. All section hikers, but there was an enjoyable evening of a fire and chatter.
The guys I had seen earlier showed up without their dog. The dog wandered off and they spent FIVE minutes looking for it. I was disgusted. At least spend half an hour looking for your DOG. Took a sleeping pill and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment