Saturday, October 16, 2010

AT Day 5

I wake up and at first, it's dark. And slowly, i feel it should be getting lighter-its about that time. So I look out of my sleeping bag, peering into the gloom. It's hard to see, hard to see anything. For some reason, it takes a while to realize that part of the reason nothing is crystal clear is not because its too dark or because my eyes are failing-its because its snowing. i hadn't really expected that. There was already an inch or two on the ground and so I packed up, ate my honey nut cheerios bar and headed out with Big Sky who wanted to hike with someone for safety sake. (Which turned out really good for me)

We did the first 5 miles in two hours. I was truly enjoying the snow, and the trail, not finding it particularly difficult. As soon as we reached the next shelter-the turn off to it at least, I started wearing out. The snow was deeper-drifts up to our knees-and I was wet and cold. Eventually, we made it down to the gap to Helen GA where cars were slowly making their way over the gap. there was a semi pulled off in the parking lot and we kept going.

It was SO hard to keep my legs moving, but it wasn't safe to stop, not before getting to the next shelter. Eventually we came to where I'd originally planned on staying-the campground a couple miles before the shelter. Not safe, not the way the snow was, not with my tarptent (Lunar solo). My only goal was to keep Big Sky in sight (he stopped to wait for me every once in a while). Kept going, kept pushing. Finally reached a gathering of vehicles-they moved for us, but sadly, no trail magic, despite looking rather pathetic.

Big Sky asked about the camping area we'd passed and i guess my answer must have been garbled or something, because he seemed to think I was telling him that we hadn't reached it yet AND still had another 2.5 miles to go after it. (15 mile day) I shook my head. No. We'd passed it a little ways back, so now we were under 2.5 miles. Good. He looked relieved. After what seemed like forever, we passed over the top of trey mountain (I was unimpressed. it was somewhat wooded and there was snow everywhere and i couldn't see shit-what a surprise!) and eventually made our way down to the turn off to the shelter. I was exhausted and it seemed to take forever to even reach the shelter.

Finally it came into view. i surprised silver-he hadn't expected to see anyone else. Arrogance to a certain extent on his part. Met a young couple called Branch and Appleseed. Said we hadn't seen anyone else on trail all day, Silver's tracks were snowed over with at least a half inch to an inch of snow, we didn't know where everyone was behind us. I quickly changed, accepted a few crackers from silver and ate those and some of my crackers. Could not make myself eat more and felt horrid that I wasn't up to making food for Big Sky like I'd promised. (I still regret that)

Eventually, two more figures appeared out of the gloom-Natalie and Isabelle. We all talked about the options of where to go the next day. Everyone seemed convinced that a stop in Hiawassee was needed. It was too cold, everything was too wet that the opportunity for a place to dry off and warm up was far too tempting.

I worried about how I'd get into town, but figured I'd reason it out when i got to the gap. Got in my sleeping bag, texted my brother and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment