Tuesday, October 19, 2010

AT Day 8

It was a cozy warm shelter all night. And by cozy, I mean every time i moved, I bumped into either Appleseed or Silver. I leave just after Branch, Appleseed and Silver. Reverend remarks that we sure are early risers and leavers. Isabelle and Natalie agree. They're all heating up breakfast and part of me would like to do that, but another part really just wants to get the miles in.

Plus I don't have breakfast to cook.

I hike on my own for a while, catching up to the others at a dirt road crossing where they're all eating snacks. Silver leaves several minutes before me and i catch up with him, surprising myself. However-like the day going into hiawassee, he was intentionally hiking slowly so as not to dehydrate himself. I hiked with him most of the day, stepping in his footsteps and (so I learned later) annoying him by not giving him enough space. I couldn't help it. I had a ton of energy for no apparent reason. We ate lunch on a rock in the sun with a nice view of the mountains around us. It was a beautiful day.

We're the first to the shelter and I say I can get water for Silver-his water filter's still broken-as I did earlier in the day. The water is way the **** down there, but its got this beautiful little pipe coming out of the ground (deceiving at first, since it looks like a dried up mud puddle) with crystal clear water!!

We spend the afternoon enjoying the sun, attempting to dry as much stuff as possible. I discovered snacks I had taken from the hiker box tasted like the laundry. whoops. Appleseed agreed after assuring me she'd take them and then giving them back.

Again, it is a full shelter, but we're all laughing and being entertained by each other, so it's not a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment